Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dinner

Tonight I made seitan marinara sandwiches for dinner! A new and delicious invention.
Part of the reason I've been making so much seitan lately is because I think it's a vegan staple I've really overlooked until now, so I'm trying to find all kinds of new and tasty ways to use it up. Same thing goes for sandwiches--something I know is awesome, but hardly ever eat. So tonight's invention was practical and yummy. All these measurements are really iffy because I never measure anything, but I'll do my best.

Sauce:
olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, depending on how big the cloves are, minced
dried basil
dried oregano
salt
fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine



Start the sauce before the seitan so it can simmer while you prep the rest of the food. Saute the onions in olive oil until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and herbs, saute for about another 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and mix in thoroughly. Add the tomatoes and wine, simmer for about 15 minutes or until the seitan is done. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Seitan:
about 1 lb. of seitan, cut in strips
2/3 cup flour
1/2 salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/3 cup soy milk
olive oil for frying

Mix the flour and seasonings together in a small, shallow bowl. Pour the soy milk in a separate bowl. My seitan came right out of its broth so I dredged it in the flour mixture right away, dipped it in the soy milk, and dredged it in the flour again.
Heat the olive oil at medium high heat, and carefully add seitan strips to the pan. Fry on either side for about 3-5 minutes, until browned and crispy. Remove from pan immediately, and set on a plate covered with paper towels to drain the excess oil.

This would be good with any hearty loaf of French or Italian bread. I personally went the much less classy route and picked up some Jimmy John's bread on my way home from school, a habit I think I'll keep up because it's so cheap and never out of the way.


Slice bread in half, spread a little Vegenaise on one side, and load up with seitan strips and sauce, and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment