Thursday, March 10, 2011

Writing Advice

The comma. At this point in my life, I am over-zealously in love with commas and all of their wonderful functions. A huge part of my recent work on the Augsburg Honors Review editorial board has been duking it out over a shitty paper that refuses to use commas, and that experience, paired with one frantic night of editing my former room mate Anya's history paper a few months ago,  has really made me realize how much I love them and how important they are. The Review submission in question totally neglected commas, and it made the paper a disaster in my eyes--it was almost unreadable, because I could never figure out what the author was saying. I am the first person to admit that I have become a huge asshole/enthusiast over nitty gritty grammatical stuff lately, but I really do believe that getting the little stuff right leads to better writing overall. The past two semesters in the writing lab have taught me more about the importance of nitpicky shit, like punctuation, than any academic experiences over the course of my life.

Unrelated: Chloe or Tara, if you are reading this, I am eating noodles with Braggs and parmesan right now. I love and miss you, your crazy home, your wonderfully insane parents, and the foods I always ate with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment