Friday, July 2, 2010

I've been back around Eclipse Records lately, and I have basically no self control when faced with a bunch of music I want to buy, so over the past few days I've picked up a few things that I may talk about in the relatively near future.
  • Leonard Cohen, Songs of Love and Hate
  • Bonnie Prince Billy, I See a Darkness
  • Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones
  • Jawbox, Novelty
  • Some kind of Nuggets II promo CD
  • M.I.A., Kala
  • Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, to revisit my 6th grade self
  • Staring at the Sea, a compilation of singles by the Cure that was mysteriously abandoned at the store, so I gave it a good home.
  • Nick Cave, From Her to Eternity
In 100% different news, I'm still thinking about Moby-Dick almost constantly. It's weird--I started reading it almost a year ago, and since then it's never really left my mind. I'm still amazed that something I had such low expectations for ended up kind of changing my life (at least in a literary sort of way). I'm getting a little hung up on the idea of re-reading it soon, but I can't be distracted from my goal of reading Ulysses before the summer is over. A goal that, unfortunately, keeps getting more complicated and lengthy.
I was able to talk to my adviser about this plan the other day, and he was kind enough to tell me all the things I'll need to do/read before I even start the book as well as a few things I should be reading while reading Ulysses. Obviously it was very cool of him to help me out, but blaaaaah that just added like, 6 books to my reading list, and those 6 books are only extensions of the Ulysses project! I am going to be so pissed off if this book turns out to suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment