Sunday, January 30, 2011

I am mad.

In support of women who have been raped, women who are poor/uninsured/on Medicaid, all women, actually, and the amazing Sady Doyle,  I have written a letter to my representative for what may be the first time ever. You can read if you like, after the jump.

Dear  Representative McCollum,
I deeply appreciate your hard work and loyal service to my district, and it has been a comfort for me to know that you are fighting the good fight in Washington for the citizens of Minnesota. Today, the citizens I'm concerned about are women, both in our state and across the country. The proposed narrowing of the definition of rape for women seeking abortions on Medicaid is both shameful and disturbing, and I trust that you will be working to protect women from being re-victimized in this heinous, insincere, and dangerous bout of posturing from Republicans in Congress. As a 20-year-old, I am more familiar than I would like to be with the atmosphere of shame and secrecy that surrounds young women who have been sexually assaulted, and who are brave enough to seek justice and healing, on college campuses as well as in U.S. culture at large. Women are hurt and violated in a myriad of different ways that will be rendered unimportant by this proposed bill. Though not every one of these women becomes pregnant or seeks an abortion through Medicaid, the changes that Republicans (and, all too unfortunately, some Democrats) are suggesting would silence their experiences, and would discourage women who have been raped from seeking out both health care and legal action. Please continue to support women's health and bodily autonomy. In this country, and in this political climate, we need all the help we can get.
Thank you for your consideration,
-Daley Konchar Farr

1 comment:

  1. You are much more collected and poised in your writing than I am on this subject.

    I just get angry and my letters end up saying, "salkfjl kjasdfn asfd asdkl &%$#&#*%&%!!!!" or something to that effect.

    ReplyDelete